1.21.2012

my love of coffee shops...anna ba hib ahhwee!

day 21...

"the best part of wakin' up is coffee in your cup..."  or something like that...

one obsession i have adopted over the last 30 years (well mainly the last 12 years) is my love of coffee, & coffee shops...it all started back in the day when my sister worked for starbucks...she is the main reason i started drinking this addictive substance which now has turned into not just a love for the drink but the places that serve them...

this is how it happened -- i would show up when she worked & she would feed me drinks (i benefited a lot from my sister's professions, another blog, another day)...all kinds of drinks, of course i started with the sweeter, a caramel frappacino was my drink of choice (i have no idea how to spell that word, neither  does my apple) & now over the years and her turning in her starbucks apron; i am still quite obsessed with starbucks & such but have matured to the less sweeter options, caramel macchiato or white mocha, minus pumps of the sweetness...& even plain ole' coffee with cream & sugar (i know it is my goal to drink black coffee, give me a break we are only 21 days in, i have time;)

so what is with all this jazz of this blog & love for coffee shops, etc...relax, a list of my coffee shops/drinks discoveries...
(*disclaimer -- on occasion i do frequent starbucks or biggby; but my list consist of independents or as i like to refer to them as little treasures a city has to offer*)

1.  Scottie's Coffee & Tea House -- Worthington, OH (set in a quaint little downtown area of one of the suburbs of Columbus, looks like an old house with old furniture; check it out before you go might have closed, which would be a bummer b/c i loved it (hey, i haven't lived the 'bus in over a year)

2.  Travonna Coffee House -- Short North Columbus (a great little independent featuring great art on the walls; & plenty of room to sit & chat with friends, good blended drinks, & cappuccinos)  {http://www.travonnacoffee.com/}

3.  71 Irving Place Coffee & Tea -- NYC, this little find was due to my cousin who lives in the city, it is in the heart of Gramercy Park, really cute & quaint, good drinks, wish i lived in the city b/c i would visit more often... {www.irvingfarm.com}

4.  Fido Cafe -- a quick trip to Nashville with my big brother allowed me to discover this great coffee place...if i remember it was close to Vandy, but we were only there a little over 24 hrs...great scene & great coffee {http://bongojava.com/fido}

5.  The Sparrows Coffee Tea & Newsstand -- Between Cherry Hill & Downtown Grand Rapids on Wealthy Street...this reminds me of my find in Worthington, a old house, creaky floor, great decor...fabulous coffee, & a wide selection of loose leaf teas...i love it... {http://thesparrowsgr.com}

6. The Kava House -- Eastown Grand Rapids, -- up the street from my apartment; very cityesque, good lattes & smoothies...a good place to chill, study, read, write, people watch...{no website but you can find them on facebook}

7.  this one is more for the coffee than the actual coffee house (it is a chocolate place, actually the place i work, www.maryannschocolates.com & no it is not why it is on the list) HOWEVER, this is my #1 (at this point in my life) favorite coffee to drink, i mean straight up coffee, which is illy coffee, it is italian roasted coffee & it is so smooth, i am head over heels in love with it...it is not a common find, but i am so glad we brew it...{http://www.illyusa.com}

the search continues & i still haven't visited all the cities i want or even the ones that i have, i have yet to find a coffee shop...hell, i am only 30; i have plenty of time to discover & come up with another list that you are dying to read :)...

...if you frequent these cities, go visit these little gems (i gave you websites, humor me), sit down, grab a cup & know i am enjoying a cup with you!  (PS...if you have suggestions of gems of your own, please do tell)

~as they say an arabic, anna ba hib ahhwee (meaning i love coffee, i will have to figure out a way to say coffee shops; a girl can only learn so much arabic at a time)!

Cheers!

<3 DK
<3 MB

2 comments:

  1. Ah, even though it's midnight, I am now already craving the morning cup that awaits me! And I'm really craving being able to go to a coffee shop with no little monsters attached to me. We should do that next time you're in town! I love them too!

    ReplyDelete